The Canton of Geneva is surrounded by France: the department of Ain is located west of Geneva and the department of Haute-Savoie is located south and east. These surrounding French areas and communities are referred to as “neighboring France” (“la France voisine”).
To be a cross border worker, you need to hold a European passport.
Numerous sports can be done in neighboring France: canoeing, sailing, roller-blading, biking, fishing, skiing, cross-country skiing, hiking and walks. Pays de Gex
- Gex is an enclave located between the Jura and the plains of the Léman region. Gex is famous for CERN (European Organization for Nuclear Research), the Haute Chaine du Jura Nature Reserve, the Voltaire Castle and “Bleu de Gex” cheese.
- Gex’s population is increasing steadily, from 18’000 inhabitants to over 60’000 today.
- The 4 most important communes are Ferney-Voltaire, Divonne-les-Bains, Gex and Saint-Genis Pouilly. Their combined population is between 6’000 to 10’000.
- Various bus lines connect Gex to Geneva, lines F, Y, O and T.
- Website for the communes in Gex: www.cc-pays-de-gex.fr
- Chablais is located East of Geneva
- The main towns are Thonon (population 31’200), Evian (population 7’800), Publier (5’900), Sciez and Douvaine
- The “Portes du Soleil” is a vast French/Swiss ski region: Avoriaz, Les Gets, Morzine, Chatel, and Morgins
- Website: www.chablais.fr
- Towards the South and Southeast of Geneva, lies the Salève region which boasts several towns:
- Annemasse (population 30’123), Gaillard (population 12’000), Saint-Julien en Genevois (population 11’000), Reignier (population 6’700), Collonges-sous-Salève (population 3’700), and Archamps.
- Annemasse website: www.ville-annemasse.fr
- Annecy has recently inaugurated its new direct autoroute linking it to Geneva. From north of Annecy to the Bardonnex border, it now only takes 20 minutes to reach Geneva. The town of Annecy is situated between a lake and mountains. It is a very sporty town and has a high quality of life.
- Annecy is well-known for its lake (which is the cleanest in Europe), the Old Town, the Lake Party (celebrated on the 1st Saturday in August), the International Film Animation Festival, and the Italian Film Festival.
- Population: the town of Annecy has 53’000 inhabitants and with the surrounding suburbs 140’000.
- Official website: www.annecy.fr, tourist office website: www.lac-annecy.com